Colonel Paul M. Skipworth is the Vice Commander, 97th Air Mobility Wing, Altus Air Force Base, Okla. He is the second in command of the air mobility wing and is responsible for the formal training of all C-17A, KC-135R/T, and KC-46A aircrews for active duty, Air National Guard, and Air Reserve units, as well as multiple partner air forces from around the world. In addition, the wing simultaneously maintains a worldwide capability to support combatant commanders by deploying mission ready Airmen on short notice.
Colonel Skipworth graduated from the University of Portland in 1997. He has served in a variety of operational assignments in the C-17A, KC-135R/T, and Air Operations Center. Colonel Skipworth deployed to U.S. Air Forces Central Command, where he commanded the 340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, the USAF's largest Air Refueling Squadron.
Colonel Skipworth has served in staff assignments at the Joint, Headquarters Air Force, and major command levels. Prior to this assignment he was the Chief of the Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill. He is a senior pilot, having logged over 2,700 hours.
1997 Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics, University of Portland, Ore. 2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2005 Master of Arts in Computer Resources and Information Management, Webster University, Saint Louis, Miss.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala. 2010 Strategic Policy Internship, Washington, D.C.
2015 Masters in Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. June 1997 – October 1997, Staff Officer, AFROTC Detachment 695, University of Portland, Ore.
2. October 1997 – October 1998, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Naval Air Station Whiting Field, Fla.
3. October 1998 – October 1999, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
4. October 1999 – April 2002, C-17A Pilot, Squadron Training Officer and Squadron Executive Officer, 15th Airlift Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
5. April 2002 – July 2004, C-17A Instructor Aircraft Commander, Wing Airlift Director and Chief of Training, 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord Air Force Base, Wash.
6. July 2004 – July 2005, AMC Intern and Deputy Chief, Executive Travel Branch, 18th Air Force Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
7. July 2005 – August 2006, AMC Intern and Special Actions Officer, Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
8. November 2006 – July 2009, KC-135R/T Instructor Aircraft Commander, Readiness Flight Commander and Wing Total Force Integration Officer, 92d Air Refueling Wing,
Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash.
9. July 2009 – June 2010, Student, Strategic Policy Intern, Air Force Intern Program, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
10. July 2010 – July 2011, Executive Officer to the Air Force Chief of Safety, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
11. July 2011 – July 2012, Commander, 340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, United States Air Forces Central Command Area of Responsibility
12. July 2012 – July 2014, Chief of Readiness, Current Operations Division, Joint Operations Directorate, United States Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii.
13. July 2015 – June 2015, Student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
14. June 2015 – June 2017, Chief, Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
15. June 2017 – Present, Vice Commander, 97th Air Mobility Wing, Altus AFB, Okla.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2012 – July 2014, Chief of Readiness, Current Operations Division, Joint Operations Directorate, United States Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii as a Lt Col.
Rating: Senior Pilot Flight hours: Over 2,700
Aircraft Flown: T-34, T-1, C-17A, KC-135R/T
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 4, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major February 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2010
Colonel April 1, 2017
(Current as of May 2017)