97th Security Forces Squadron
Published November 03, 2010
The 97th Security Forces Squadron was originally activated as the 1707th Air Police Squadron in January 1953 at Palm Beach Air Force Base, Fla. The squadron consisted of 38 airmen providing security for the base and flight line.
In June 1959, the squadron was deactivated at Palm Beach AFB and relocated at Tinker Air Force Base, Okla. The 1707th Air Transport Wing became the 443rd Military Airlift Wing Jan. 1, 1966.
The 443rd Military Airlift Wing became part of the Military Airlift Command July 1, 1968. At that time, the security police unit was transferred from Tinker Air Force Base to Altus Air Force Base, Okla., and designated the 443rd Security Police Squadron.
In October 1992, the 443rd Military Airlift Wing became the 97th Air Mobility Wing under the Air Mobility Command, and the 443rd Security Police Squadron became the 97th Security Police Squadron.
In July 1993, the 97th Air Mobility Wing became part of the Air Education and Training Command. The squadron was redesignated the 97th Security Forces Squadron in July 1997.
The 97th Security Forces Squadron provides security for C-17, KC-135 and KC-46 aircraft, as well as provides force protection and law enforcement support for more than 10,000 active duty military, DOD civilians, contractors, family members and retired personnel in the community. In addition, the unit is tasked with a worldwide mobility commitment.
(Current as of April 2019)